Monday, April 15, 2013

Sabino Canyon

Before I tell you about my adventure in Sabino Canyon, I must share some sights that I encounter on my morning walks in the park.


I'm starting to notice more rose bushes, and they bloom so beautifully in the desert.





And, of course, the cactus are starting to bloom also.

A couple Saturdays ago I was looking forward to meeting up with a 55+ group for an outing in Sabino Canyon. I got there a little early to be on the look out for someone from my group. I meet the lady pictured below named Barbara sitting on a bench by the ticket booth for the tram. As we talked about the group were meeting up with I had a funny feeling that this wasn't necessarily my group. I was meeting 5 or 6 other people and there were at least 15 in this one. Oh well, maybe a bunch if people decided to come at the last minute. I wasn't carrying water, because I always feel that my camera is more important, besides there are fountains at each stop on the route. When we got to stop number 9, the group said they were hiking 4.5 miles farther, the first leg looked like straight up to me. Oh we don't go fast, and they insisted that I com along. About a half mile up they realized I didn't have any water and agreed with my suggestion that I turn back. Barbara insisted on going with me; I don't think she was really keen on the hike anyway.


This what I saw on the way down, which is a long way down.






This is where we stopped to watch some families with their kids playing in the ice cold stream. When I got home, I had email from the group I was supposed to be with wondering where I was. They sent several pictures of them hiking along the stream and playing in the water. They are scheduled for an outing at Mt. Lemon in a couple weeks. I hope I finally get to meet them.


A BLAST FROM THE PAST! That's me in 1958 in roughly the same place. Fred had to be standing in the water to get that picture. It was August or September, so I'm sure it felt good.

No comments: