Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sam Hughes Historic Neighborhood

A gentleman from the photography meet-up group told me about these neighborhoods scattered in the older sections of Tucson. We were going to do a joint shoot some time, but I haven't seen him at any of the meetings. One Sunday about a month ago, I heard about touring the homes. I got involved accidentally, so I wasn't really part of the tour. A few people in charge were very gracious and allowed me to wander through two or three and take pictures. The first place is actually a garage that was converted to a guest house that reminded me of an old motel room that was completely up-dated. The bathroom/pullman kitchen was the most interesting.





This is a wall grouping that I found particularly interesting, and I might try doing one of my own,



This was a little cabinet in the kitchen area. It seems more of a decoration than being functional.





This is such a clever idea. These succulents were planted in dirt and grew through the screen that is holding them in place. Then they placed the ornate frame around it. It was hanging on the patio wall: one of the most interesting things I saw all day.





It's a real live cactus even though it looks like velvet. I touched the bloom to assure myself that it was real. Same original, just two different renderings in Elements. I've since seen the same cactus elsewhere.



This is just to give you an idea of what most of the houses looked like. They were classed as bungalows, but since they are around sixty years old have had to be completely updated. The rest of my time was spent outside. Most houses had spectacular garden areas with big old trees for shade.




These trees just happen to be orange trees on the divider between the sidewalk and street.


The lady of the house is an artist and she painted all sorts of benches, walls, and other yard art in her garden. This is a real door, but she used it to frame her painting. Notice the tile around the window and flowers painted on the bench. The next time they offer a tour of one of these neighborhoods, I'm going to sign up and do it the right way. That probably won't happen until fall when it cools off.


No comments: