Sunday, October 20, 2013

San Carlos 1969

After I did the last post, I remembered that I had slides that I had copied to my computer. They're not the best, but better than I dared hope after all this time. We had a 60 something VW bus that my husband had converted to a camper. He did all the carpentry work and secured it in place. Of course, it wasn't self-contained, but it carried the kids and all our gear, and we had a table to eat inside, and we could all sleep inside if the weather was bad.


This is a picture of the beach, and I have no clue of the direction. We are apparently preparing for an afternoon storm. Below Susie is taking a nap, unusual for her. She was 4, Mike was 6, and Tammy had just turned 10. Those were seat cushions from inside. I have no idea why we were using them outside. We probably didn't have lawn chairs. Can you believe I don't remember some ancient history?


We didn't do this trip on our own. I worked special events for the University of New Mexico, and Mary Barnes was my boss. She invited us to go down with her family. She had several boys older than my Michael, but he loved to fish, and they somehow caught these sharks (?) plus an octopus.


Below, a family vacation portrait! Dad is obviously taking the picture. He took the greatest pictures with his Cannon that he bought while on R&R in Japan during the Korean War. I believe the swim suit that Tammy is wearing is the one she wore while on the swim team at the Coronado Club on Kirtland Air Force Base.


He caught this one on a hook, not in his bare hands!




Along the roadside, a veritable palace. Most that we encountered on the beach lived in corrugated shacks. Trip over; forward a life time.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love these pictures of times past. When I was married we had a VW bus and Ron & I made it into a camper ourselves. We camped out on Cape Cod and beaches in California in the 70's. Good times!! Looking forward to more on your blog

The Artist Rocks said...

Thanks,Karen. Looking forward to us going to Ironwood.