Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Copper Canyon Day Five

Taking pictures on the train was difficult, because of the reflection from the window and the movement of the train. The "observation deck" was the area between two cars where the wind and rocking motion were a thrill a minute. No problem, some of these brave people claimed ownership to the choicest spots. I know Byron's DVD will come through to cover this small inconvenience.


I did get this shot of one of the vendors as we were pulling into the train station. It was reminiscent of pictures that my children's father took in Korea. The hotel bus met us plus one other van since we were such a large group. The vendors had taken up position in front of the hotel, and I was over-whelmed. The basket group was in seventh heaven. Carlos took us on a nature hike to the rim of the canyon which turned out to be full of more vendors.


I didn't get any pictures of the vendors, nor was I smart enough to buy what I wanted that first afternoon. I figured it would be the same the following day, but not so; I missed my chance. Luckily, I wasn't a total goof; I got a picture of the canyon.






These people were so photogenic in their bright colors and expressive eyes. The women start having children when they are eleven and twelve; the mortality rate of their babies is less than fifty per cent. They live all over the canyon in very primitive conditions and they seem happy.


A parting shot of the canyon before getting ready for dinner. Our food was always good and plentiful. I'm sure all of us have gained weight.



No comments: