Monday, March 1, 2010

Last Day in Central Florida

     Thursday was my last day to go touring with Carman. We headed toward the gulf and ended up at Crystal River. We probably should have checked this place out long ago. Carman said he had before I got there, but had forgotten about it. We climbed the burial mounds at Crystal River Archaeological State Park and tried to enjoy some snatches of sunshine. Then it was lunch time and Griselda (GPS) led us to Peck's Seafood Restaurant and Blue Crab Farm. We had a really great broiled grouper lunch and toured the tanks to say "hi" to the blue crabs.
     Friday, I made it as far as Panacea and stayed at the Holiday Campground on Ochlockonee Bay at the Gulf of Mexico. Their sunsets are spectacular and I tried to get a couple pictures. The next morning I headed for Apalachicola and toured their historic district. I had seen it on my way down to Bushnell and promised myself I would stop on the way back. I toured the shops and got myself a banner that says, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere". I had a tremendous bowl of gumbo at the Seafood Market & Raw Bar. I took the pictures with my Olympus, because I could fit it in my pocket. I didn't want to look like a total nerd with a camera strapped around my neck.After that, I did some serious driving and made to nice RV park about 20 miles east of Pensacola. Last night, I stayed in a park called Cajun Haven outside of Lake Charles, LA which was as close to being in a mud hole as I ever want to come. We are due to get 1 to 2 inches of rain today so I left early and stopped at Cypress Bend RV Park, so that I would feel safe while it poured. And it did up until an hour ago. The boys were glad to be able to take a potty break. Just as I was getting off of I-10 to go to the rv park, two vehicles in front of me both slid off the exit lane. One, a panel truck landed on its roof and the other a pickup ended up in the ditch backwards. I called 911 to report it after I pulled into the gas station parking lot. It was raining lightly, but the road must have been slicker than I thought. Tomorrow promises to be sunny and cool, but as I get closer to New Mexico, it's going to be in the high 60's. Come on Spring!

2 comments:

Camille Carnell Pronovost said...

Safe travels, Dolly, I am so glad we got to meet!

Deb said...

Are you coming home?? Be careful in LA, when I was there it was pouring and I saw several cars go off into ditches while I was on some back roads. Don't they know how to drive there?