Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Arches National Park

 

I stayed at Canyonlands RV Park and was looking forward to renting a car and touring the national park and taking a jet boat ride down the Colorado, but there weren’t any cars available. I guess everyone else had the same idea. Tuesday morning at six, I left for the park and was able to get a picture of the sunrise.

This is a picture of the Three Gossips and some other rocks which probably have an appropriate name, but to me, they were the Heads.

Then I headed for the Delicate Arch. I parked the boys in the area for RVs and headed toward the trail. Two couples were in front of me and the sun was still coming up over the rocks, so I could see their silhouettes as I followed them, but not exactly where I was going. Eventually, I discovered I had wandered off the trail and was looking at the Delicate Arch across a very deep canyon. I don’t know how long it took, maybe 15 minutes, to get back on the trail. When I got to the top, I could see the rig at the bottom. Then I took some pictures of the arch; however, the lighting was not the best. On the way back down, I captured the Baby Arch (my name for it).

The trip down was uneventful, but near the end of the trail, I found some beautiful blue-white stones embedded in some other formations. The ranger didn’t even know what they were called, but when I got to the Visitors’ Center, I saw a display that called it blue-green sandstone.

I called this picture my Blue Men because of the manganese in the rock.

Today, I’m taking a break in Green River.

1 comment:

Camille Carnell Pronovost said...

Love these pics and your commenst, Dolly! Glad you're having fun!