Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Capitol Reef

On the way to Bryce National Park, I was able to drive through Capitol Reef National Park. The scenery here in southern Utah is always spectacular. The key to good pictures is the time of day. I have a tendency to travel between 8 and noon which is not an optimum time for pictures, so I cheat a little with my Elements 7.

This is Navajo Dome.

The Grand Staircase is a fairly new national monument that spans a lot of acreage. It’s really just more spectacular scenery.

Along the way I stayed at Thousand Lakes RV Park outside of Torrey. I got there just in time because the wind starting blowing like springtime in New Mexico.

The gift shop had some great stuff, so I did some Christmas shopping. I also got myself another hat and some earrings. This the view from my spot.

On the second day I walked the three miles into town, just trying to stay in shape. This is one of the remaining log churches. It was built in 1898 and served as a church and school house for the LDS church. It was the first building in the pioneer town of Torrey.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is downtown Torrey. There were several restaurants and B & B’s. In Utah, when you’re not looking at crazy rock formations, you’re seeing some pretty farm country and valleys. They do have trees.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

No comments: