Saturday, September 4, 2010

Off to see Utah

Wednesday, September 1, I left on my Utah adventure. West of Los Lunas on Hwy 6, I had my very first flat tire ever in a motorhome. State Farm gave me the names of some wrecker and tire people who would help. Craig Tires came out and fixed the valve stem and put my spare on which fortunately was new.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

That night I stayed at USA RV Park in Gallup. This is one of the nicest parks I’ve ever stayed at. They had a beautiful pool and grounds, live music, and a great menu for dinner served nightly during the summer for RVers. I had a great buffalo burger.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

On Thursday, I drove up to Monument Valley and Gouldings RV Park. What a really incredible place: establishment wise and scenery wise. This is dawn on Friday morning.

I took the all day Gouldings tour of Mystery Valley, Monument Valley and some other exclusive places. We visited a 92 year-old Navajo woman who demonstrated rug weaving in her hogan. There were a lot of drawings on the walls and Anasazi ruins. Notice the kokopelli.

I’m getting in practice for Arches Nat’l Park. This is Geronimo.

Sandy, the Navajo guide, took a picture of me on my back after I laid down to take a picture of a hole in the rocks.

This is Monument Valley’s Elephant Butte.

This is the North Window, the view between Elephant Butte and Cly Butte looking north in Monument Valley.

Today is a day of rest and I’m going down to the Goulding’s Trading Post in a while and take pictures of John Wayne’s cabin and play tourista. Tomorrow I’m off to Moab.

No comments: