Saturday, July 16, 2011

Brunswick, GA

This stop is my experience with the Georgia coast. The rv park is about 16 miles Jykell Island and St. Simons Island. Jykell Island is really a state park with very well-kept buildings and grounds. The first day I explored on my own, and became very frustrated. The island was the summer home of all the rich millionaires in the late 1800's and early 1900's. They called their homes cottages.


After I wore myself out walking around in the heat, I headed to the Wharf and the Rah Bar for lunch. I had grilled shrimp and a salad with citrus dressing. The dressing was so good, but I can't find it in the store. A guy named Bob was celebrating his 80th birthday and all of his family was there with these orange t-shirts. I got to meet him, and he was definitely a very well-preserved 80.



This is the bridge that you go across to go into downtown Brunswick. I tried to find the historic section, but found out later, it's mostly a rundown section of town with the most big old house I've ever seen. The Lover's Oak is one of the landmarks.



I had thought that my tour of St. Simons would take longer, but not so. I found the trolley ride that takes you on a tour of the island. There was a lot of information about plantations and famous slaves and founding families. We spent a lot of time at Christ Church and its cemetery. Our tour guide was quite a character. Here's a picture of her in the cemetery.





There's a park and a pier at the end of the tourist trap section of town that is very popular with the locals. This is a dolphin sculpture that kids crawl all over. They have a swimming pool with lots of slides for kids.


I guess I just couldn't quit taking pictures of the lighthouse. That's the keeper's cottage in front.




Right now, I'm in Savannah. We've been having some t-showers, so it's curtailed my touring and picture-taking. Should be able to fix that soon.

No comments: