Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Charleston

Here I am stuck in the rain here in Charleston. The weather should clear and I'll be out of here tomorrow. I've had to take Tux to the vet during our visit here, because he chewed the fur off his tail. The doctor gave him a shot to relieve the itching and I've doubled up on his benedryl. Both dogs were tested for heart worm due to the threat here in the South, and I'm now dosing them once a month as a precaution. The vet gave me the name of a good restaurant that's just around the corner from the rv park. Gilligan's has hush puppies to die for! Also told me how to get to the plantations and where Walmart is. Very necessary info.

On Thursday I went to Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. This involved a lot of walking in the heat and fighting off persistant bugs.





I couldn't resist the butterfly and the geico. He was about to change colors, so I had to act fast.


On Friday, I went to Fort Sumter by boat and took pictures of the USS Yorktown. The suspension bridge out to Mt. Pleasant is the longest in the world. It's  new, so I guess they're proud. It's beautiful to look at and the cables, if that's what you call them, are hugh.






These are the flags out at Fort Sumter. The one with the blue background is the South Carolina state flag. I really liked the design and got some t-shirts with it on them.

On Sunday, I took a carriage ride through historic Charleston. The houses were beautiful. I didn't get a picture of the house where Notebook was filmed. I thought I'd come back after I ate lunch, but couldn't find it. These people had probably just gotten out of church. People in the South believe in dressing even when the temperature is sweltering.

The Episcopal priest and his wife almost looked like movie actors to me.



This is where I had shrimp and grits for lunch. When I went back to the parking lot to get my car, I realized I only had $2 and they only took cash. After walking four blocks to a grocery store and realizing I didn't have a pin number to get cash back, and calling the credit card company to find out what I should do: they told me. Don't be so stupid woman! I went back to Bubba's and bought an iced tea to go and they gave me back the tip in cash so I could get my car. Way too much adventure! We'll see what kind of trouble I can get into in Williamsburg.



No comments: