Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Time Has A Way

Of getting away from you. This business of being retired and keeping busy is a hard job, but I applied and got it. So self, quit complaining.

While in Tallahassee, I drove to Wakulla Springs. A beautiful state park that was used to film the movie The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Airport 77. In the picture of people jumping off the platform, that's the deepest hole and maybe a fusilage or something down there. The Lodge has rooms, a museum, and snack bar. I had a hot dog and a soda for $4, unheard of in a tourist setting.


I got a picture of this flower, but the  bonus was a little green bug (middle top right). I don't think you can really see him.

I took a boat tour of the springs, similar to all the other ones you take in Florida. This time I saw something called a Snake Bird, because of its long neck. When it swims in the water looking for fish, it looks like a snake. It has no oil glands, so when it gets wet, it takes a while for its feathers to dry. Here he is wings spread in the "dryer mode".


The rest of the pictures were taken on the hiking trail. It was so hot and humid, so I didn't do my usual world-class jaunt. I was by myself, and when I saw the huge tree down across the path, I didn't want to venture off the trail. I waited until the German couple behind me came along, and then went up as far as the first bridge. It's dark and beautiful in the woods, but there's also snakes and alligators. Here's a picture of the crashed tree and a reflection pool that an alligator probably calls home.




Taking pictures of these signs helps me remember where I was or am as the case may be.

No comments: